Monday, June 2, 2008

Mommy's 4 LIFE - The Beginning

Imagine you are out with your children one day at the park and you notice your toddler seems to be walking strange....a bit unbalanced. This seeming a bit unusual you take the child to the emergency room. Upon your arrival to the ER your child is examined and undergoes a few diagnostic x-rays. After several hours, your anxiety rising, the doctor comes in with life changing news.........a brain tumor was detected on the x-ray. With his one sentence your world has just been shook....your child? Impossible?!

This was what happened to a 2 year old boy I had on my unit. This boy - a normal two year old up until that day, or so they thought, was now in store for a new world. His mother stayed at his bedside every day for a complete week, even showering in the shower on our unit while he was sleeping. As I came into work on a Sunday evening (he had been there 1 week 2 days) his mommy came to me with tears in her eyes and said she was going to have to leave her son that night, because she has to go to work the next day. She had another child - the loss of her income was going to put her in a situation where she may not be able to provide for her other child. As much as it was killing her to leave him, she had to go. She left my unit at 11:30 pm, crying the whole way out. At 1:30 am I noticed she was back - I asked her why she was back and she said she just wanted to peek in on him to make sure he was OK. I couldn’t believe she drove all the way back to the hospital just to peek in his room - it broke my heart. Then again at 5:00 am she was back - she sat next to his bed holding his hand until she had to leave for work at 8:00 am.

I drove home that morning with this heavy on my heart. I just could not imagine being put in this position - I understand - but I can not imagine. It is heart wrenching. This sat with me for a while - I researched to see if there were any programs to help families in this situation. I found nothing. From that point I feel the Lord placed it in my heart to start something.

This is how and why I started Mommy's for LIFE - a non-profit organization that will help these families in their greatest time of need. It will help the mommy's get their child back to LIFE - back to LIVING LIFE to the fullest. The child needs their parent there with them in the hospital - they are sick and scared. No parent should be put in this position. My goal is to help these families in the immediate weeks following their accident/diagnosis. Just supplementing their income, or a portion of their income for the initial weeks will at least give them the time to get organized and get family or friends lined up to help them on this journey.

I know with the Lords help I will get this going and be able to do His works!

soooooooooo............

112806.jpeg

2 comments:

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

Wow..I am so touched by this story. I will be commited to praying for this ministry and for your family. I believe that God has trulyplaced this desire on your heart and will give you all the tools, resources, contacts, and favor you need to see this vision come to pass. If there is any way that I can help you I am here to serve you.

daughter of destiny said...

WOW.. THiS iS A WONDERFUL iDEA. i WiLL PRAY FOR THiS MINiSTRY AND FOR YOU. i WiLL ALSO REMEMBER THESE FAMiLiES IN MY PRAYERS AS WELL. YOUR STRENGTH TO BE COMMiTED TO HELP THESE FAMiLiES iN THEiR TiME OF NEED iS AMAZiNG. iF THERE iS ANYTHiNG i CAN DO TO HELP.. LET ME KNOW. MAY GOD CONTiNUE TO BLESS YOU!